Treasures of the City: The Library

I read a lot of blogs about Cincinnati, and I've noticed a common thread that runs through all of them: defending the city. It seems like the city's biggest cheerleaders are always shouting "De - - - fense, De - - - fense." While I do believe that the city gets more than its fair share of media attention, I don't think that all of it is unfair, unwarranted, or inaccurate. I criticize things about the city as well because I see so much potential here. When you are not a Cincinnati native and interview for a job here, you'll often find that people simply can't believe that you would want to live here for an extended period of time.

Cincinnatians, there is no need to be self-conscious. You actually live in a city full of treasures. Things aren't perfect, but the city is so much better than it was when we lived here three years ago. In an effort to do my part, I'm going to take a different route than playing defense. I'm going to tell you what makes this city great in our eyes. First up: Cincinnati Public Library.

Cincinnati's Public Library system is a 41-branch behemoth. Currently, we live only one block away from the Main Branch in downtown. This branch, as of 2008, moves four million volumes per year--the highest circulation of any single library in the United States. In short, the library is huge, encompassing two city blocks.

It is hard to describe how extensive their collection is. Whenever I hear about a book, a DVD (feature films, documentaries, concerts, anything), a CD, any type of media, I send myself an e-mail so I can remember to search for it in the library's database later. I would say that the library has that particular volume 19 out of 20 times (and I can always get an inter-library loan for that other 1/20). When I was writing my MM thesis, I didn't go to the school's library. I did almost all of my research in the public library's archives just one block from our apartment. I became quick friends with the librarians who were able to (1) point me to any obscure volume that I thought I needed, (2) tell me about resources that I didn't know existed, (3) and research any question that crossed my mind along the way. The people and the resources are simply astounding.

The library also has tons of computers for people to use them. I think this is great because it is helping (at least in theory) to narrow the gap between the haves and the have-nots. The library also hosts programs to teach people how to use new technology. A few weeks ago, I heard the program announcer come over the loudspeaker and tell everyone that the "How to Use Twitter" program could squeeze a couple more people into the room.

For the month of July, I spent, on average, at least seven hours per weekday studying for the bar in the Main Branch. I wouldn't recommend the "Quiet Study Areas" since they are anything but quiet. Also, don't sit near the high school year book section in the genealogy section as it is oddly/creepily popular. Still, there are some great places to hole up and get some work done if you know where to look.

1 comment:

Wendy Eilers said...

I too was an avid fan of the downtown branch in Cincinnati, when I lived just three blocks away from it. I was proud to hear it was the first public library in the history of the United States.

When I moved to New York, I was happy to find that one of the very few things that I could keep as a constant familiarity in my life was the library. NYPL is fabulous. I work upstairs from the Mulberry Street branch in SoHo. I could not believe they had nearly 300 copies or so of the movie Juno, just to give you an idea of the size of the New York Public Library circulation.

I love that people from all walks of life love the library. When the NYPL put out a call for donations and help earlier this year, when they werre facing closures and budget cuts, loads of people responded by sending letters to their councilmen and making significant donations.

The NYPL recently changed their card catalog and online system. It was screwed up for a week, and people were unable to renew online. I was SO PROUD that I was one of the people affected when I heard on NPR as I woke up in the morning that, "The New York Public Library has upgraded their online catalogging system and there have been technical difficulties that should be resolved in the coming days. All fines accumulated this week will be forgiven."

Current number of items checked out: 2 - a book (Nights at Rodanthe) and a movie (The Birdcage).