A Heated Response

One of my recent facebook statuses: "Anna and I set up a bed in the basement to keep cool during the night, but it reminds me of the grandparents' bed in Willy Wonka. Yikes." Jokingly, one of you, our loyal readers, responded: "Don't you live in New Hampshire? I thought it was cold there. ;)"

You'd think so, and you'd be right. I recently read that the record low in New Hampshire is lower than the record low in Anchorage, Alaska. But the spectrum doesn't end on the low end. The record high in Miami (not counting the heat index adjustments) is lower than the record high in New Hampshire. Indeed, we're expecting a 90 degree high today. For the effects, see the pictures below:




This is a Boloco cup that I left in my car during the last 90 degree day that we had. As the second picture shows, the cup is 100% compostable. Apparently, the sun initiated the composting cycle in my car cupholder.
You never know what kind of weather you're going to get when you live here. Sometimes that's maddening, but it's often quite beautiful. As much as I like being in control, I also love anything that involves serendipity, the unexpected, the unknown, and there's nothing better than putting the air mattress up in front of the television and falling asleep to a late-night movie in a cool basement every once in a while.
Sheesh. I feel like this post was ramping up for some pop psychology moment, but I really just wanted to explain that it sometimes gets hot in New Hampshire. Sorry if I left you hanging.
[Note: A week from today we'll be moving into our apartment in Cincinnati. I'll get you some updated info soon.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the real lesson is that you should clean out your car.

Julie Tiemann said...

That's me! That's me! I'm the jokey Facebooker! I'm so honored! I made Thea's blog!!