Addy's Congregational Debut


The picture above is Addy looking over Henniker's covered bridge that spans the Mighty Contoocook (a northward-flowing river).

In a previous post, I discussed the farewell activities for Anna on Palm Sunday. What I didn't mention was--get this--I took our dog to church with us. Sound ridiculous? It likely is.

We had a showing (not a "viewing") during church, and we had to have Addy out of the house during that block of time. With only one car and the honors that the church was planning to bestow upon us that day, staying at home with Addy was not an option. It was looking like I was going to have to sit in the church parking lot with Addy for the service. Pastor Rebecca, however, offered an alternative. Why not use Addy as some part of the "Time with the Children?" Done.

My children's time presentation wasn't anything inspiring. Addy did some tricks, and I struggled through a comparison to shepherding. It was difficult to talk and make sure that Addy was doing what I was telling her to do. Addy, however, rocked it, and I think the children were watching her the entire time anyway. Her service earned her a front row seat with me and Anna. I brought her travel bag, but I let her stick her head out of the opening.

Everything was going well until the Communion portion of the service (the eating of the bread and drinking of the wine). Addy could smell the bread coming her way, and she positioned herself for the strike. Fortunately, I was on top of it and stuffed her head back in the bag with the soft part of my arm (some would consider it part of the arm pit) just as the bread plate was lowered to striking distance. In the Christian tradition and the Last Supper story, the bread represents the body of Jesus. If Addy had it her way, she would have cleaned Jesus right off the plate. Not good.

Besides that one incident, she was a great dog, and people told us that she was the best behaved dog they had seen. She is pretty much the most awesome dog ever. Still, I couldn't help thinking how preposterous it was to sit in a historical building (bedecked with a Paul Revere bell) with my 3.5 year old puffball. Simply preposterous.

4 comments:

Julie Tiemann said...

HAHAHA. Fabulous story. Preposterous indeed. (Incidentally, no ones uses preposterous anymore - why not? It's a great word.)

Addy (sorry I've been misspelling it Addie) IS the best dog ever!!

Kristen said...

Hysterical!!! Love it. I think it's great that Addy was part of the children's time. They will remember it forever.

Anonymous said...

Austin--I think I can explain what happened with Addy and the Communion plate. From my seat in the choir, I noticed Addy pawing through a pew Bible. I have to assume that she was reading Matthew 15:27: "Yes, Lord, yet even dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." --Dr. Bob

AP said...

Now that I think about it, I'm glad there didn't seem to be a kid who was deathly afraid of dogs! I could have turned it into a serpent handling exercise at that point. "With enough faith, you will be able to pet this dog without being licked." I agree with all of your comments. Dr. Bob, I see your point, but I worry that Adelaide was tempted beyond what she could bear.