Viewing/Showing

[I accidentally published my notes for this post earlier. So sorry to have to do it over for those using Google Reader.]

We're trying to sell our house right now. It's discouraging, particularly when we worked so hard to create an awesome home: new appliances, new floors, new basement, new house. We're hanging in there though and realizing that we'll just have to learn a hard and likely expensive lesson.

I've also had a vocabulary lesson regarding the house. We have had several showings, which I actually called "viewings" when I talked about it with other people. A "viewing," however, sounds more like a funeral-related activity. I've caught myself saying "viewing" several times since the distinction was raised, and I envision myself lying at rest in our bed, hands folded as people parade through our house.

For each showing, we work really hard to get everything in place (like anyone can live this way for an extended period of time without hired help). When I get home, it's weird to think that other people were in your home, judging every little aspect of the place. It's a little spooky, but I'm starting to get used to it.

2 comments:

Julia said...

It seriously makes me laugh out loud that you have NOTES for your blog....

I just sit down and start writing... I mean, when I write... but then again, that may be the reason my blogs tend to ramble...

anyway... it has to be wierd - - - but if you can sell it... sell it :) Good luck!

Julie Tiemann said...

I'm with Julia - I had to giggle when I saw your notes. It's such an Austin thing to do.

I'm sorry you guys have to sell in such a lousy market. No fun at all. Be sure Addie's there looking all cute like her bad self does. That should help.