Kids and Jackets


Well, it appears that the coldest of New Hampshire weather is behind us. This means that everyone has to switch to lighter coats.

Upon seeing this coatrack, I revisited a memory from growing up in Florida (where we only had 1 jacket for the "winter"). When I was in middle school, Starter-brand jackets started to become very popular among students. These jackets were rather bulky and appropriate in Florida for only one or two weeks of the year. Kids, however, really liked to associate themselves with the teams, and they continued to wear their jackets inside. The best part was that dudes would give girls their starter jacket to wear when they were "going out." I never had a Starter jacket, but I can imagine giving it to some lucky babe and getting it back--tainted by the sweaty mix of middle-school musk and forced-air heat. True love.

I remember that one particular girl in band (who was "going out" with one guy [Guy #1]) wore some other guy's [Guy #2] Starter jacket. Needless to say, there was a rumble in the instrument cubby room between the two jacket owners. I specifically remember talking to my buddy after the fight and demonstrating my subordinance to the jacket-swapping custom. I told him--in my changing voice--that I thought fighting was crazy but that I understood why Guy #1 would be upset: "I mean, she wore Guy #2's Starter jacket! I'd be mad too!"

I just wish something similar would have happened in college with North Face products.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, starter jackets. I always called them the stay-puff coats...and never wanted to date guys with them because I was sure that mothers did not want to wash those things often, what with them taking up a whole load and probably not being dryer safe. And you know they had to be smelly since I can't recall too many FL days cold enough to warrant wearing a down comforter...and did they only make them in the most obnoxious team colors??

I think I might try and bring them back into fashion this winter, just for funsies -AJ