March is Bustin' All Over


That’s right. Spring is here, and there is some evidence within my own home (where the heater is running). [Editor’s historical note: I’m writing this at 7:30 a.m. on 21 March 2009. It is 15 degrees outside.]

When I started law school, I bought a dwarf lime tree and a dwarf lemon tree. They were saplings when I got them, and I had grand dreams of what they would become as I progressed through law school. As I grew, they would as well. The idea was that, by my third year, we would be harvesting limes and lemons like crazy--giving away bagfulls to friends. Unfortunately, tragedy struck.
Last summer, I moved to Cincinnati to intern at a firm; the process is commonly called a 12-week job interview, but I had a blast and learned a lot. Because of work obligations, Anna stayed behind in New Hampshire (very, very sad). I was actually planning to take my lime and lemon trees to Cincy with me, but I ran out of space in my car. By the time I had everything ready to go, I had forgotten about the trees and didn't instruct Anna about their care. I promise that this isn't a parable and that the trees really don't represent anything like my career, etc.
Because of where they were located, the trees were easy to forget, but Anna watered them on occassion. When I came back, however, they were in bad shape, withered and leafless, and we discussed "putting them down." I, however, am actually emotionally attached to these trees (I know it sounds weird) because we got them during a period of great transition in our lives.
I've been nursing them back to health over the past year, and they're just now getting the amount of sunlight they need to really heal and make a comeback. It's very exciting to watch, and the lime tree actually has a flower that is about to bloom!
I've had these plants for almost three years, and I still haven't named them. I was thinking of "Sprite" and "7-Up," but I know I can do better than that. I'm open to suggestions, and I promise that I'll let you know when they're named. They're looking forward to some warm weather so they can again be set outside--as am I (warm weather and sitting outside).

2 comments:

Julie Tiemann said...

How about limon for both? Because in Spanish, there's no distinguishng between lime and lemon. It took us a while to learn this, as whenver we requested lime with our diet coke at Mexican restaurants, we would get lemons. Finally I got smart and requested a limon verde (green lemon) and got a lime. :)

I really think you're on to something with Sprite and 7-Up though.

Mike Tiemann said...

That's cool! Now if you can grow a Corona tree, you'll be set.