Comment Mechanics

I just read this post by David Pogue of the New York Times. He asserts, and I agree, that the various ways that we try to stop ad bots from commenting on our sites just doesn't work. Well, I'm going to try to go without having everyone decipher a squiggly word for a while to see how it works. Maybe it will feel like I'm not letting the terrorists win.

There is a program that I wouldn't mind using. I can't remember where I read about it, and I'm too lazy to grab a link right now. Trust me. This exists.

There are computers that are taking scanned images of old texts and converting them into searchable digital documents. The problem is that there are several places that require human reasoning because of ink blotches or other imaging problems. There are several websites that use people trying to prove that they're not a bot to do this work for document archiving. It seems that Blogger is not one of them.

2 comments:

Mike Tiemann said...

EARN MONEY FAST $$$ DRINK PURE GUAVA EXTRACT $$$ DIRECT PROFITS 4 U!!!

AP said...

Blast. It's already started.

I'll only drink guava if it's mixed with aloe vera juice and glucosamine sulfate. This mixture not only tastes "great," but it keeps your joints nice and flexible and heals sunburns from the inside out.