Babycakes

We have a ton of friends who are pregnant right now, and we hosted a General Celebration of Pregnancy over the weekend. It was fitting because I was pregnant with the desire to do some baking. So I decided to make the official cake for the event. I knew that I had to do something special, really step it up. I did some basic research, and found some appropriately themed cakes that served as my model.

In preparation for my task, I asked myself some pretty basic questions.

1. What flavor cake will I use? No question: Funfetti. It's the patron cake of celebrations

2. What kind of icing will I use? Something sweet and, preferably, prepared in a factory. I will use whatever is cheapest (measuring the price per unit).

3. What shape will the cake take? Pregnancy is a complex thing, encompassing fear and excitement all at the same time. To represent this dual nature, I choose to use two, nine-inch circles.

4. Will you put icing between the two layers? I will intend to, but I sincerely doubt that I will remember.

5. Will you gender the cake with a certain color of decoration? Yes and no. I will use both blue and pink icing in a simple, clean manner. I'm not going to dare take a guess at a baby's gender without the aid of the Baby-Comp.

I took my completed questionnaire to the grocery store, bought the appropriate supplies, put my heart and hands to the task, and came out with a beautiful tribute to children everywhere:


If we ever get to do the pregnancy thing, I think it's pretty clear that I'll be making the cake for the shower.

5 comments:

Mike Tiemann said...

Austin, this looks beyond luscious. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful creation.

I also applaud you for your expert use of "pregnant," definition 3.

Mike Tiemann said...

Excuse me, definition 2. Those definitions are pregnant with similarity.

AP said...

There's a lot of room to work with the "P" word. People don't use it enough. Well done, sir.

Nate said...

The cake was delicious; the black & white picture somehow makes it even creepier, like it's an old file photo.

Anonymous said...

We need to get a picture of this cake for the baby book I think...