In the Kitchen

Big shout out to Tiffany. She gave us a starter for Friendship Cake/Bread. I'm mashing that bag just like the instructions say. Mrs. Jernigan (very much a grandmother to me) used to make this stuff, and I thought it was fantastic. I can't wait to get to get this batter cooking, but waiting seems to be the name of the game. I'll write more as the recipe gets more interesting.

I'm on break from school for the week, so I've got a little more time to do some crafty things (like a jigsaw puzzle). Anna and I enjoy being in the kitchen, so I sometimes watch cooking shows or programs to get ideas for a meal or a snack. Today, I happened upon "Big Bry's Western Style BBQ." Big Bry seems to be a decent enough guy (he's hilarious in the post-credits blooper reel) and probably has some good recipes, but the production value is what really makes his program shine.

Big Bry probably showed up to shoot with some meat and some notes. He moves through six or seven pieces of meat and does something different with each of them--plus a potato salad! While Big Bry educates you a enough, someone in the clipping room decided that Big Bry's video needed additional textual guidance in the style of The Colbert Report's The Word segment. This text plays several crucial roles in the program:

1. It labels things that Big Bry has mentioned but that the viewer might not yet comprehend.

2. It wards off cannibalism/unhealthy relationships.
3. It allows for show sponosors and comes up with crazy uses for endorsed products.
4. It applies Zen philosophy to BBQ.


5. It displays safety information.
6. It displays Big Bry's marital advice in a place where everyone feels safe.


7. It allows the viewers to feel poetic about their potential meal.

3 comments:

Mike Tiemann said...

Those are some serious animal slabs in #5!

Good luck with the friendship bread. That's good stuff! May I suggest you pass the next batch along to a mortal enemy, with cayenne pepper as the secret ingredient. I call it pan de enemigo.

Julie Tiemann said...

Friendship bread? I love that stuff! I wonder if you guys could mail us a starter...

AP said...

Done and done. You shall receive a starter in the mail whenever the recipe allows me to get some out there.

"Enemy Cake" sounds interesting. It would seem that the cake of my enemy is my cake.