More Thoughts on W-M

Our friend Mike posted his thoughts on a trip to a local hotspot on his blog. It seems that many people are struggling with the balance of supporting locally or regionally originating stores and the realities of the wallet. Fortunately, New Hampshire has a very prevalent network of local businesses, and we also have a Wal-Mart. It's actually a pretty nice mix of options.

I learned a lot about Wal-Mart's business strategies in the documentary The Age of Walmart. There is a funny part about Wal-Mart transitioning into China. Definitely worth the watch.

I went to Walmart (please pardon the previous hyphens) today. I have to admit that, like Mike, I'm not a big fan of going to the store. I'm actually not stoked about going into any store that has so many people in it. There are just certain human activities that drive me crazy. For instance:


I'm definitely not perfect, but I always, always, always put my cart in the right place after I use it. Do the people that leave them out think that they're creating jobs, stimulating the economy? Really, they're just eating up the plum parking spaces and scratching up cars. This is so frustrating to see when Walmart has clearly provided a lot of cart corrals so the walk isn't that far for anyone. I guess I like mega-business after all; I just don't like some of their customers.

Do the right thing--put your cart in the corral.

3 comments:

Mike Tiemann said...

Thanks for the shout-out. Ironically enough, chasing carts was my favorite part about being employed at W-M (Wm?). It was a nice way to escape and enjoy a cool California night, rounding up all the carts that the customers were too lazy to return.
Least favorite part? Trying to decipher what kind of cigarettes people wanted. Marlboro Red Box Menthol blah blah blah.

Julie Tiemann said...

I agree - MAJOR pet peeve. Even with a kid now I still manage the extra few steps to get that cart put in its place. Come on, people!

Anonymous said...

I once went to a Target in Florida that had no cart corrals. That's right, no cart corrals. I walked for rows and rows searching for a place to put my cart. There was nothing. I opted for the two-wheels-on-a-curb-so-it-doesn't-move tactic.