Night on the Town

On Saturday night we hit the streets for a good time. We grabbed some dinner in Manchester and then did a little shopping. Anna had a gift certificate to L.L. Bean, so we stopped by their store to see what we could find. We aren't in any real need for clothes, so we just looked for random stuff. We ended up getting two pair(s) (whichever plural you prefer) of sunglasses.

Always fashionable, Anna got a sweet pair with flowers on them. They had another version of the same glasses with pink-tinted lenses. She didn't like them; neither did I. Pink lenses are reserved for the charlatans and recreants amongst the "Hollywood" crowd. If you, my reader, own a pair of sunglasses with pink lenses, you are the exception to the rule.





As for me, I wear prescription glasses at all times. I've always struggled with sunglasses--though I want them really bad. However, there are limited options for people like me. I could wear transition lenses, but I don't like the lack of control. I could also buy a pair of prescription sunglasses. The problem with this option is that switching pairs of glasses (normal to sunglasses, sunglasses to normal) causes me to get dizzy. I hate that feeling, and I just can't drive while I'm feeling like that. The option that I've exercised recently is simply wearing a regular pair of sunglasses over my prescription glasses. You'd think that it would look awesome; it does not. However, it works, and it's comfortable.

I was satisfied with it until we got to L.L. Bean. There, Anna found a pair of sunglasses made to fit over prescription glasses. Yes! From the labels, it appeared that these glasses were reserved for elderly men who drive RVs. I didn't want the cashier to deny us service because I didn't fit that description, so I started talking about the RV that we don't own: "I'm thinking of trading in Old Windsail. It just doesn't have the power that it used to--like when we drove over through the Rockies and then over to Seattle. The riggings (?) are poorly designed too; I like staying in the Wal-Mart parking lots if we can, but the adapters don't seem to fit their equipment anymore."

It was at the discussion of the riggings that I realized that the cashier was more likely to sell us the sunglasses if I just shut up. So I did. Ashamed of my lack of RV knowledge, we headed to the local bookshop. I was going to find a book about the recreational vehicle lifestyle, but I got sidetracked and forgot all about it. I'll write about my new book in a later post. All in all, it was a productive evening. I probably won't seek out information about RVs; rather, I'll let it come to me as it does. True serendipity.

3 comments:

Nate said...

Looking good.
EDIT: Looking great.

Julie Tiemann said...

I was going to ask if you'd tried using those paper sunglasses they give you at the eye doctor when you're eyes are dialated, but I see from the photo that your solution is far superior.

Anonymous said...

You, my friend, are quite slick.

John G.